Saturday, November 24, 2007

Chiniguichi River Trip - Jun 13-17 07

- Bushwhacking up the "Elephant", we ended up at the 'head' part. On the topo it said it was approx 460m high. The view was spectacular, but heat and humidity was intense up there


We just got back from 5 days on the Chiniguichi river. Boy was it hot! Sweltering heat and humidity made for some tough long days. We also relived some memories on this trip as we had previously been there 4 years ago doing the full loop. Instead this time we went to the top of the loop and headed back. We were also lucky to have 4 out of 5 days rain free, unlike our last time there when we had 6 out of 7 days of rain!


- Located at the northwest corner of Telfer Bay, we found the ruins of the Alligator; only the massive boiler remains

We decided to make a trip back there because Marylou and I loved the area. I wanted to revisit to see and do some things I missed the first time through. Besides, it was going to be my birthday so Marylou thought it would be a great place to relax and celebrate. I couldn't agree more!

- Surf (albeit small) and sand at the campsite at McConnell Bay - whose says there is no beach in northern Ontario!

On this trip there was a few thing I specifically wanted to see and experience. Most importantly, I wanted to experience Paradise Lagoon. A beautiful secluded swimming hole complete with its own waterfall and aquamarine coloured water. We missed it the first time through so I had to make sure we found it the second time. (Marylou actually found it with some girls on a previous trip so she knew where it was) Secondly, I wanted to climb the Elephant, a massive white ridge that flanks Lake Chiniguichi's west side that when looking at its profile, looks like a elephant lying down. Lastly, I wanted to see the 'Alligator' in Telfer Bay - a relic from the logging days.


- Within 2 hours we witnessed the magical transformation of an aquatic nymph to a full fledged dragonfly right before our eyes! Totally fascinating!



The bugs were pretty bad on this trip. It seemed to come and go. Some places worse than others, and at times worse than others. We had the whole gamut of things - black flies, mosquitoes, deer flies, and horse flies! Yes, it sounds horrible, but it wasn't unbearable. We still enjoyed our time there. The flip side, (whether the bugs had anything to do with it), we had the whole place to ourselves! A couple was paddling in on our way out! Awesome!, as this place gets pretty busy.


- Yes, that is a frig-gin watermelon!!! But boy was it good in the heat!


Being my birthday, Marylou wanted to bring a few surprises for me. Of course, they ended up in the barrel I was carrying. Man was it heavy! Want to know what it was?!!! A 'mini' watermelon! (5lbs?), a litre of Australian Shiraz, bottle of Kahlua, and a cake mix! Of course I didn't want to complain, but trying to do single portages made it brutal! (but the pain was worth it) Then there was the wine incident - just imagine. First, I can't handle alcohol very well, secondly, we were really hot and probably dehydrated. So when we had made supper (Spaghetti) we toasted and drank. Let me tell you - it was (I think) a sorry scene. I couldn't keep my balance, my head was spinning, I was falling over, and could barely finish 250 ml!!! (yes, how pathetic, I brought back rest of the unfinished wine) Needless to say, we made the cake and I ended up in the sleeping bag early that night!


- There you have it - Paradise Lagoon, complete with a waterfall! Just gorgeous, and as a bonus, all to ourselves!

One of the coolest thing Marylou and I experienced was seeing the total transformation of a nymph to a dragonfly. Several of them crawled from the water to our bug tent, hung on a strap and literally broke out of the shell and developed into a dragonfly within a span of 1-2 hrs. It was truly mind boggling and amazing how fast the metamorphosis took place! Most of them turned out fine, but we witnessed a few that didn't - one missing a leg, another that dropped from its perch and couldn't finished it transformation and thus became ant food. Sad, but that's life.


- Ah yeah, that's me swimming in the lagoon. It was my birthday and really, I am expected to wear my birthday suit - and being in paradise, only made it that much easier! Sorry folks!


In the end of the trip, we were very happy to revisit the area and experience a few new things. Well, hope everyone is enjoying the hot weather and have found time to paddle. Stay in touch and take care! Remember, I may not be able to go out and handle a drink with you, but I will certainly paddle with you any day! Hope you enjoy the pics!
Cheers!
David & Marylou

- Marylou enjoying a beautiful day on Wolf Lake. This was what the Chiniguichi trip was all about. Beautiful weather, white rocks and cliffs, clear aquamarine waters, azure skies, and total solitude.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice photos!
the watermelon was prett sweet.
-girl from the co-op